Tuning Cold Pianos

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:38:05 -0600 (CST)

>List,
>In a previous post I mentioned a performance comming up
>on Sunday, Dec. 20. A change in the piano's time scheduling
>has occurred.
>
>Performance @ 3:00 pm
>Doors open	     2:30
>Rehersal	     1:30 to 2:30
>Tuning	     be finished before 1:30
>Piano delivery     9:00 am
>
>The C7 will be tuned sometime prior to leaving Boston, I requested
>440 since last time it was tuned just before delivery at 442.
>
>I doubt the temperature that day will be in the 60's so I am anticipating
>a thermal affect. Hopefully condensation will not form on the surfaces.
>
>I'll keep my fingers crossed and touch-up offenders. Any attempts
>to change pitch would be like shovelling sand against the tide.
>
>If the movers are on time (gulp) I figure it's a showdown at High Noon.
>
>Wish me luck,
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

* Doomed!

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>PS. Would heavy-heavy quilted moving pads insulate the piano
>        enough for the 1.5 hr drive from Boston?
>        Ok 2 hours, I forgot the coffee and doughnut stop. :-)

* Probably not. Perhaps you could ask them to have the piano wrapped in a
giant Baggie and foamed into the truck before they leave Boston. That might
not work either, depending on the foam used (some harden with an exothermic
reaction), but at least it has some entertainment potential. Just trying to
help. %-)

You had to go and mention donuts, didn't you?

 Ron