Charging for pitch raises

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:18:43 -0500

Wallace Scherer wrote:

> I talked to a friend of mine recently (not a PTG member) who charges more
> for the pitch raise than for the tuning. He reasoned that since the
> customer had neglected the piano for so long, he was justified. It seemed
> to me his attitude was that of "punishing" the customer for not taking care
> of the piano.

I remember the time an RPT told me that if a piano is 50 cents flat he
charges double his regular tuning rate to pitchraise and tune.  If the
piano was 100 cents flat he charged double again (that is, FOUR TIMES!)
the regular tuning rate to do the pitchraise and tuning.  For example,
if the normal tuning charge were $70, this technician would charge $280
to pitchraise and tune a 100-cents-flat piano.

Recently I did a "technical" in our chapter titled "Charging for
Services," giving this example as exorbitant.  Several people objected
to my reasoning.  But suppose places were reversed, and _I_ were the
client.  Would the situation look any differently then?  We do well to
follow the Golden Rule, "Treat others as you yourself would want to be
treated."  That's my opinion.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA