Too much of a good thing

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:26:16 EST

In a message dated 11/23/98 8:34:44 AM Central Standard Time,
cedel@redrose.net writes:

<< Ideas I have considered:  refuse to go beyond a certain distance; refuse
 all new clients; stop calling back faithful clients who have old
 clunkers; become more expensive; there may be others.  When you got too
 busy, what did you do?  Would you do it the same way again, and if not,
 how would you do it differently?

 Regards,
 Clyde Hollinger, RPT >>

All of the ideas you have will serve to limit the number of customers you have
but I would get the word "refuse" out of your vocabulary.  Some new customers
may have very nice pianos you'd like to work on.  Some of your customers who
live further away may too.

Implement a pricing structure that charges more for the ones you don't like so
much but don't let the customer know that you are doing it.  Gently explain
that you've just had to raise your rates for those who are far away or who
have problematic pianos.  They'll probably still want you but you'll be much
happier going there for a premium fee.  I'd suggest 25%.

Some of the customers you lose because of price may want you back after they
have seen the way a lesser skilled competitor handles the piano.  Keep raising
the price.  It's all market forces.

Also for the far away customers, always tell them you can't get there until...
(a date well ahead).  When you get other customers out that way, tell them
that you'll be out that way on such and such date and that is your only
availability.  That way you can line them up and still get a premium rate.

I was tempted to offer you a one liner:  "Tell them you only do HT's".
Sometimes, when there is a piano I really don't want to trouble with I ask the
customer if they are aware that I only tune in the Historical Temperaments.  I
tell them that it costs more than a "regular" tuning and that all of my
customers like them so much that it is the only option I offer.  Darn 'em if
they don't bite on it anyway!

Be glad you are in demand.  As Jack Wyatt RPT would say,  "If they's sumpin'
y'all don' wahn' do then make ya prahce hagh 'nuff so's ya will wahn' do it!"

It's 4:30 pm and time to go to my 6th tuning today!  (This is how I finance
all of my Summer travels and the Annual Convention:  good earnings during the
high season!)

Good Luck,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin