Buzzing soundboard

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 09:29:58 -0500

At 10:10 PM 11/21/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Pretty close, but the E5 treble string actually touches the plate.  I don't
>know if this is part of the problem.  It didn't seem to make a difference
>when I loosened this string, or put felt between the string and the plate,
>so I took it out again.
>
>Any ideas as to where to go from here???
>

>Ed Carwithen
>John Day, OR

My first thought was srings buzzing on the plate. The biggest offenders are
in the tenor section vibrating sympathetically.

I take it that the original stlye felt was not replaced. That would have been
a broad piece of bushing cloth with the hitch pins punched thru.

What do you mean;
>When the rebuild was done, the bridge structure was not replaced exactly.
The bridge was removed? Or that you suspect this because of the close
proximity of the string to plate.

They're made that way, or at least as Del mentioned last week due to loss of
crown.  The hitch pin/plate flange felt eliminates plate/string buzzes. It
would
also restrict optimum board flexing by having a really short non-speaking
length.

Here's hoping you catch a buzz,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)