Here's more Dutch

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 06:54:52 -0600

>...If there is someone on this
>list who can explain to us where the word "Dutch" derives from (of course
>"Duits" but why?) I would be delighted.
>
>OOR

Here's what one dictionary* says André:

Dutch (dīch) adj. Abbr. D., Du.
1.a. Of or relating to the Netherlands or its people or culture. b. Of or
relating to the Dutch language.
2. Archaic. a. German. b. Of or relating to any of the Germanic peoples or
languages.
3. Of or relating to the Pennsylvania Dutch.

-Dutch n.
1.a. The people of the Netherlands. b. Archaic. A Germanic people. c. The
Pennsylvania Dutch.
2.a. The official West Germanic language of the Netherlands. b. Archaic.
One or more of the West Germanic languages of Germany, Switzerland, and the
Low Countries. c. See  Pennsylvania Dutch.
3. Slang. Anger or temper.

-idioms.
go Dutch.
To pay one's own expenses on a date or outing.
in Dutch.
In disfavor or trouble.

*American Heritage Electronic Dictionary, Standard Edition, 1992