Here's more Dutch

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:18:46 +0100

><< >Richard Sprechen sie Deutsch, si vous plait, por favor Moody
> >(and however the heck you say it in Dutch.... )
> >--
>

> Richard spreek je Duits, alsjeblieft?
>
> That's however the heck you say it in DUTCH
>

> Friendly Dutch greetings from
>
> AndrČ
>  >>

>Andre
>
>You translated correctly in Dutch. But when Richard asks, "Sprechen sie
>Deutsch, si vous plait, por favor"  he is aksing "do you speak German"  A lot
>of people in America, think Deutch mean Dutch.
>
>WIm Blees

I am sorry Wim,
But maybe we do not really understand each other?
As you should know, "Duits" is German in the Dutch language, whereas the
word Dutch is not Dutch at all but an English word for the Dutch langauage.
Also, as you know, in Holland, there are two words for the Dutch language :
De Nederlandse taal and/or de Hollandse taal or: Het "Nederlands", or, het
"Hollands".
the German language would in Dutch be : de Duitse taal or "het Duits" (for
many other Americans except Susan and Wim : I hope you now accept and
understand for ever that German is NOT Dutch. If there is someone on this
list who can explain to us where the word "Dutch" derives from (of course
"Duits" but why?) I would be delighted.

Furthermore, the German language is a direct family member of the Dutch
language, except for the grammar, which is for brilliant idiots only, I
think.

Most words begin with the same letters and resemble each other a lot. The
Germans build better cars and pianos, that's for sure and they are more
mature in development as a whole.
The Dutch (or Hollanders) are still a weird bunch but can be ferocious
traders. I would advise to read some books about the Dutch especially during
the "golden age", the 17th century...if you 're interested at all........

OOR