Whitney spinet

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:30:10 -0500

Ted Simmons wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> My first appointment this morning was with a Whitney spinet that was 100
> cents flat.  Normally I would charge 2 pitch raises and a final tuning, but
> I noticed that there were no bridle straps so I charged an extra pitch
> raise; in other words, I went over it 4 times instead of 3.  I feel
> justified in this because of the lack of bridle straps.  I certainly didn't
> want to be faced with a broken string on this piano if I could help it.
> Anyhow, as it turned out there were no broken strings and the piano ended
> up right at A-440 and sounded pretty good.  My question is -- if a string
> had broken and required removal of the action how would I accomplish this
> without all of the jacks dropping down beneath the butts?  Second question:
> should I have run as fast as I could from this piano?
>
> Ted Simmons
> Merritt Island, FL

Take the job and the money.  I have broken very few strings.
However,when two strings broke I lost that customer...she felt I was
being careless.

I tuned a whitney about 2 weeks ago.  The customer didn't want a pitch
raise...too much money. I still charged extra becuase it had been 20 yrs
since last tuning.  I  went over it 3 1/2 times and it was about 100
cents flat. What a mess!!!

But, it sounded sooooo much better.  Her name isn't going into my
database.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member