brass flanges

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:55:58 -0500

fdube@vianet.on.ca wrote:

> I've forgotten how to deal with brass flanges.Usually I find that the butt
> plate at the front breaks right at the screw hole. A staight forward
> repair. This time its the brass rail back piece that seems to have an
> overly grooved out center pin groove.Do I cut it off and put in a repair
> clip.Schaff catalogue suggests repair clip 513A when one half of the old
> groove is used. They also suggest repair clip 513B when the tongue has
> broken at screw hole. I presume there's no necessity to cut any
> brass.Perhaps all that is needed is to overlay the brass clip and to run
> the screw through Any suggestions or comments?

Dear no name,

I'm unclear on the situation here.  You never really state that anything
is broken in this case, only that the back piece seems to have an overly
grooved out center pin groove.

If you meant to say the rail tooth is broken off, other good posts tell
you what to do.  Trying to glue in a repair clip is good IF you can keep
the glue where you want it.  As Mr. Bremmer states, it can be tricky to
get those repair clips to stay where you want them.

If nothing is really broken but is only worn (something I've personally
never seen on a brass rail), I would resist cutting or filing anything
off. Fitting an oversized center pin into the hammer butt should take up
the slack.  Did you actually take the butt plate out and look at it,
maybe even try a new one?  Sometimes they can be cracked although the
crack is not obvious, which would result in a wobbly hammer assembly.
I'd be interested in how you solved the problem when you get that
accomplished.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger