Trichord -l inked file with illustrations

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:32:11 +0100

Ce message est en plusieurs parties sous format MIME.

Hello Roger,

Of course differences could be because of the old strings.

I send again the file, as LINK - Sorry I did not intend to fill all the
Pianotech with my post. In HTML it will be more readeable I hope.

What they try to check anywway was the fact (theory) that a tuner doe's
not tune the three (yes they test 3 strings) unissons (fondamental) with
the same pitch, and why. Twoo strings are coupling in phase opposition
after a few seconds, so their fondamental are in tune so what do we do
of the third string ?

I too strongly suspect spectral differences because of the hammers,
strings, V-bar and so on.
I totally agree with the partias change corellated with the hammer
elasticity. A few weeks I tuned a piano (D S&S) for students recording a
CD in a conservatory. This D had been voiced without shaping of the
hammers, these are lively but with large grooves.

I was obliged to come back because they had big thump noises when using
the left pedal, due to the grooves of course.
In a hurry, I shape (!) the hammers quickly, voice a little, an then I
was obliged to tune again all the 5th octave and up to treble, with much
less strech, because of the change in sound wich did not allow the large
strech used before. I've done that aurally in 20' and all of that was
very natural to my ears. Did not have the time to check with RCT (but
this piano is very stable).

Roger, I will forward your comments to the author of the tests, as I
tune for Ircam and he is always there.

BTW I did no really "shape " the hammers, nor all hammers, mostly the
middle ones that where producing a very audible attack noise. I only cut
the edges of the 5th aoct and Treble hammers. (finished with 400 paper)
After having sweated my shirt, the student come, tryed the piano, and
they where really pleased. So was I, but I will not do this for a
concert, no.

Best regards to you all

THE FILE (please computer don't send all that garbage I've seen)