hornbeam

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 18:09:52 -0800

Stephen and James:

The thing here is that each must know what the other means by hornbeam.
There are two very different trees in eastern North America with the
common name "hornbeam". They are both in the hazelnut family
(Corylaceae). One is _Ostrya_ _virginiana_, known colloquially as
hop-hornbeam, hornbeam, or ironwood.  The other is _Carpinus_
_caroliniana_, known colloquially as hornbeam, ironwood, or blue-beech.
Both are rather small trees.  O. virginiana occasionally reaches 60' and
2' in diameter, but is more commonly up to 40' and about 1' in diameter.
 C. caroliniana reaches only about twenty feet and 10 inches in diameter.
 The wood of both species is very hard, dense, and strong, but that of O.
virginiana is known for extreme toughness, like that of hickory, and has
interlocked grain like hickory (which probably contributes to the
toughness, and suitability for things like pick and axe handles).  To
further complicate matters, there are two european species with the same
common name, and they are members of the same two genera:  _Carpinus_
_betulus_, and _Ostrya_ _vulgaris_.  I don't have any information on them
readily available.  It may be that any of these species would suffice for
your purpose. Maybe not, though.  Certainly what is known in Canada as
poplar (a member of the Willow family) would not be at all suitable for
many of the uses to which the American "poplar" or "yellow-poplar" (a
member of the Magnolia family) is put.  I know that had Socrates drunk a
decoction of what we in North America call hemlock, the course of Greek
history might have been somewhat different.

I must agree that A&M has a terrific selection of all kinds of wood--I
used to go there to browse just for the all the exotic smells!  I would
imagine that either species of hornbeam would be difficult to find "off
the shelf".  They both grow as understory trees in a mid-successional
stage of an eastern hardwood forest, and are found as scattered
individuals rather than in pure stands.  They would be looked upon more
as a nuisance than as a resource by most woodlot managers or foresters.
I would check with the forestry department at your nearest University
that has one, and get the names of individuals in your geographic area
who might do custom sawmilling.

Tim Keenan
Noteworthy Piano Service
Terrace, BC