Trichords tuning

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:17:31 +0100

Ce message est en plusieurs parties sous format MIME.

Hello everyone,

When i was looking for information on tuning perception, I've found this
study on the tuning of trichords in the piano.

I send it to your interest, as I remeber a thread about it.

I once had tried to analyse the fresh tuning of a grand D S&S by one of
our best tuners here in Paris, and I've found that on any triplet
checked (with RCT), 2 of the cords were in tune with no more than 0.1 or
0.15 cts diff at the 2nd or 4th partial level, BUT a 3rd corde was "out"
by 0.25 to 0.8 cts, not always the same cord but always one.
When hearing the tuner at work I clearly have the feeling he plays to
the 2nd or 4th partial resonnance when tuning unissons (no strip miuting
by there).
It was in a large concert hall with a good soun return. I feel the tuner
use the partial modulation to obtain a "projection " of the sond in the
place. I may admit I have tried to do that and have found difficult to
3HEAR" the sond in front of the piano as if I where 5 meters farther.
I will assit on a cooloque on the perception of the tuning of the pianos
in a fe<w days. If the text is avaible on internet I will forward it to
you.
By the way Del, ther will be something on the pros and cons about old or
new wood for the resatauration of ancient pianos. Will forward it too if
avaible.
Following is the file (english version)

Best regards to all of you .

Isaac OLEG