Winter Console Hammer Dilemma

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:02:22 -0500

YouthPage8@AOL.COM wrote:

> I was tuning a Winter & Co. Console for a new customer today, and noticed that
> the felt on three or four hammers in a row was coming unglued... it's like
> someone took a knife and and started seperating the wood from the felt at the
> top of the hammer. It doesn't quite go straight through, but it hinders the
> sound.  Should I glue back the felt or replace the hammer heads completely??
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan Hoover

Jonathan:

I have found this problem on pianos that are generally mediocre at best,
so I glue the felt to the moulding again because it is fast and
inexpensive, if you have very strong fingers.

I put thick viscosity CA glue where the separation is, squeeze it
together and let it spring apart again so glue is on both surfaces,
spray with accelerator and IMMEDIATELY press it together again and hold
it for about 20 seconds.  You have to use care, though, to have proper
alignment the first time, and take GREAT care not to glue your fingers
to the hammer!

Clyde Hollinger
Lititz, PA