Winter Console Hammer Delima

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:46:33 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jonathan:

If you try to glue back the hammer felt, you can never match the
pressure and tension which was there in the original manufacturing of
the hammer. Therefore the tone will not be there for you. You have the
option of replacing the hammer or two, but again the tone probably will
not match and the appearance would not be the same. My advice in this case
would actually be to reglue the hammers, reshape them along with the rest,
and then use lacquer or keytop solution to restore the density. Keytop
in solution of Acetone works fairly well because it dries rapidly. If the
surface of the hammer is too hard, you can use straight acetone to
soften the surface a bit. Trial and error is in order here. Using needles
to take down the density afterwards will not work the same as it would
on non treated hammers. For one thing, the hammers will not have much
internal tension. You will probably be reduced to using the solution and
then washing with acetone if you over-do the solution. If these damaged
hammers are in the high treble area (the usual case), you can soak the
entire hammer with the solution, then lightly brush the surface with the
acetone.

Jim Coleman, Sr.