strings o spinet

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:24:27 EST

In a message dated 11/11/98 8:21:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cedel@redrose.net writes:

<<
 If a string breaks at the coil on an old mostly-worn-out upright I'm
 tuning, usually in the high treble somewhere, I usually unwind enough
 wire off the other tuning pin to re-use the same string.  I usually end
 up with 1 or 1 1/4 coils on each pin.  And yes, the tuning seems to hold
 just fine.  I do this because it won't go out of tune as drastically as
 a new string, I'm not very good at knots, and I think it's faster and
 therefore less cost for the client.  But I do wonder sometimes -- is
 this considered poor craftsmanship, considering what kind of pianos I do
 this in?

 Clyde Hollinger

No.  I short loop in older pianos unless I am certain the string is in such
bad shape that it would break again.  Does save a lot of time because you are
less likely to return to tweek it.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR