Friction and Balance pins

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:37:22 EST

Greetings,
    I read with interest Lance's post inre sizing balance rail holes.  I would
be fearful to use a drill bit, lest it remove wood.  I have been using another
technique that seems to provide durability and ease of use.
    After de-bushing, ( with steam, which not only removes the felt but sizes
the hole), I take a spare pin, of the original size, and hammer it out of
round,( about .005-.010") near one end.  Then this goes into a pinvise for
use.
       Coming in from the top of the key, I press the enlarged portion through
the hole  so that the widened portion is in the balance hole with the major
dimension across the key.  This eases the key more sideways than front to
back.  If it is not enough, a quarter turn, back and forth will usually gain
the clearance needed.
    Keys treated this way seem to be less inclined to "pully" after heavy use,
and it is very consistant.  If you have a long enough pin,  you can leave the
bottom 1/4" round and obviate the need to put it back on the keyframe to test
for clearance.
    As a side note,  when I was at the Steinway factory for my "factory
training week", J. Pramberger was in charge of production, and the balance
rail holes were extremely tight.  I was told this was his idea for increasing
repetition speed!  I found that it was not possible to get a really even key
level, and measuring the aftertouch was difficult, since there was a strange
feeling of resistance at the very bottom of the keydip.  Anybody else got any
ideas on this??
Regards,
Ed Foote