Friction

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:09:56 -0600

After the pins are smooth, I always spray them with McLube 1725 (front and
back pins).  I also graphite/burnish or McLube the whippen tops, brush the
under whippen felt then iron it lightly then brush the felt with microfine
teflon powder, brush the knuckles then brush on teflon powder there, too.
You can also put drops of Protek on the key bushings.  SLICK!!!!!!  This
makes a dramatic improvement in the customers eyes.  Careful not to overdo
it for the customer that likes a heavy touch.  I also mic the balance pins
and ease the balance hole if needed.  I put a drill bit that is a few
thousandths larger than the pin chucked into a T-handle BACKWARDS.  I then
slip the bit into the balance hole from the bottom.  I can grab a few keys
at a time and do them very quickly.  Carefull you have the right size bit -
no pully keys.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

> From: ROGERIO CUNHA <rogeriocunha@openlink.com.br>
> To: Pianotech Mensagem <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Friction
> Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 4:27 PM
>
> To the list
> I am regulating a grand action where there are very much friction and I
> detected that the great of this friction is on the balance rail pins.
What