Hazard of Accutuner ( Have I ruined my new bass strings ?)

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:21:49 -0700 (MST)

Hi Russell:

I don't believe you have damaged the Bass strings. In the factory the whole
piano is tuned a half step high on the first chip tuning and the hi
treble is tuned an additional half step high.

What happened to you with the SAT is one reason I always tune the Bass
downward after tuning the treble. It is less likely that you will be tuning
by the 5th or 7th partials if you have a treble reference. It is more
common to tune by the 7th partial when starting in the Bass because that is
the first clear partial which you come to in pulling the pitch up to
where it registers on the SAT. Especially is it difficult to hear the pitch
of the A0 on a small piano.

Jim Coleman, Sr.