STARR Piano Co. Info.

Hite, Bob bhite@dmci.net
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:55:40 -0500

Ron Berry wrote:

> My experience is that any piano made in Richmond, IN
> has a bad pinblock, (Starr, Richmond, Jesse French,
> Lagonda)
>
> Since an old upright with a bad pinblock isn't worth much I
> would check out the pinblock carefully before doing any
> other work to the piano.
>
> Ron Berry

Jesse French and their Lagonda upright pianos were made in New Castle, Indiania.

I own a Lagonda.  Restrung it using #3 tuning pins.  The pins are very tight, the
block is perfect.

I am currently working on a Starr Richmond 5 ft grand.  The pinblock was typical
for a 55 year
old piano, ie somewhat loose tuning pins.  The main problem with the pinblock is
that it is attached
only to the plate, and wasn't fitted to the plate very well. (significant
gapsbetween the block and plate flange)

Overall design and craftsmanship of the Starr / Richmond piano that I am familiar
with is rather poor.

Thats my two cents worth.

Bob Hite.