strings o spinet

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:41:20 -0600

Hi Clyde,
              I have done the same thing, on more than one occasion, it's a
judgment call and the lesser of two evils with 80yr old wire. Not only for
stability, but you end up with one note that sings a lot better than it's
neighbors.
 On a half decent piano, that's a different issue.
Just my take on it.
Roger

At 11:10 AM 11/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Michael Jorgensen wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of non traditional coils, I know an old Story and Clark grand
>> with only 3/4 turn around the pin on a bass string with a good sharp
>> bend at the becket.  This holds fine and has been like that for atleast
>> a dozen years.
>
>If a string breaks at the coil on an old mostly-worn-out upright I'm
>tuning, usually in the high treble somewhere, I usually unwind enough
>wire off the other tuning pin to re-use the same string.  I usually end
>up with 1 or 1 1/4 coils on each pin.  And yes, the tuning seems to hold
>just fine.  I do this because it won't go out of tune as drastically as
>a new string, I'm not very good at knots, and I think it's faster and
>therefore less cost for the client.  But I do wonder sometimes -- is
>this considered poor craftsmanship, considering what kind of pianos I do
>this in?
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre