strings o spinet

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:29:23 EST

<< Yesterday I had to relace string on a Wurlitzer spinet, around F#4.  The
 problem I had was with the pin directly above the pressure bar...I could
 not get my coil lifter/string spacer tool between the pins. The pins are
 packed quite closely in this area of the piano.

 Even my thinest screwdriver didn't help much.  Needless to say, the coil
 was BAD, BAD, BAD!  Has any one developed some sort of tool or technique
 for this situation?
 --

 Frank Cahill
 Associate Member

The ideas already given are good, and likely what I would do, but I had one
additional thought...

If you remove the tuning pin, and replace with the next size, you could wind
your coil on the new pin and drive it in.  This way you can pass enough slack
through the pressure bar area to work easily (or at least easier).  So the
coil is pretty much formed when it goes in.  If the coil is well made, you
probably won't have trouble snugging it up when the pin is in place.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine