"Hammer Technique"

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:43:13 -0800

Jonathan:
	I'll jump in and give my techniques.  On grands, if I can, I'll try to
put the hammer in the same line as the strings, so that the fore-and-aft
movement of the pin is minimized (called flagpoling).  Especially in
tuning unisons, doing this makes the unisons very stable.  I prefer
putting the handle towards the piano, though you could point it away I
suppose.
	Depending on the tightness of the pin in the pinblock, I have different
ways of manipulating the pin.  Since I use a SAT, I can see immediately
whether my tuning is stable when I give a test blow.  Of course, I
always put the string sharp and then back down.  If the pin turns fairly
easily, I usually use a slapping motion with my hand on the hammer.
Going down to the correct pitch, I "hit" the hammer with a slight motion
toward me, along with a counterclock-wise motion to set the pin (on
uprights).  The idea is to end up with the pin balanced in such a way as
to counterbalance the pull of the string.  If the pin is slightly bent
(usually a no-no) in order to do this, so be it.  The friction of the
string over the bearing points also helps keep the string stable, but if
the friction  is too much, the string pitch won't follow the tuning
pin.
	On tight pins, I usually jerk the hammer in little steps to get up to
pitch.  I will overpull the pitch, and bat it back down with the palm of
my hand. Then I try to move the hammer back and forth on the pin, and
see if the pitch tends to go sharp or flat.  If it tends to favor sharp,
I'll keep adjusting the pin with the hammer so that I end up with the
pitch the same in spite of small "test" movements of the hammer.  If it
favors the flat side, I'll pull the string sharp again and do it again.
There will be a spot where the string is stable in spite of slight
movements of the hammer/pin.  If the string is VERY slightly sharp, you
can pull the hammer a little towards you to settle the string in the
exact spot you want it.  CAUTION:  You can actually bend the pin easily
with the hammer.  Use just enough of a pull to settle the string, if
needed.
	I guess my best advice is, just do what ever you have to to set the
string.  It just takes practice.  You will eventually find a technique
to deal with each situation, tight pins, loose pins, jerky pins.  Try to
find a way to turn the pin as little as possible, so that it actually
turns, but affects the string in small increments.  Balance the tension
of the wire against the torque/bend of the pin.  Always tune slightly
sharp, then down to the correct pitch, making sure the pin actually
moves in the block.  Sharp "impact" movement of the hammer on the pin is
best for doing this.  Slow movement of the hammer is less precise.  No
one can tell you in so many words how to do it, but you will find your
own best way.  If you have access to a VTD, it will help.  Tune unisons
as carefully as possible, then give a hard test blow.  See if they
hold.  Use the VTD to see if your notes hold after a hard test blow.
Developing your technique takes time, and don't worry if you don't have
immediate success.
	Good luck!
	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego