"Hammer Technique"

YouthPage8@AOL.COM YouthPage8@AOL.COM
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 23:35:26 EST

	As a student of the Randy Potter School of Piano technology, and having been
tutored under two different technicians, one an RPT and one not, I thought
that I knew all there was to know about "Hammer Technique"... or at least knew
enough to get by.   Now more than ever, I am concerned that i improve my
hammer technique.  Is there any special technique that is used on Grand
pianos?  On uprights I was always taught to bring pitch up by pulling up
(right) with the hammer, and then lower pitch by going out (towards you) and
down (left) with the hammer.  How much do you go out?  Do you apply a lot of
pressure out to set the pin in the cradle?  Or is it going just slightly out
with most of the force downward to lower pitch?

Thanks,

Jonathan Hoover