Mark says "no pitch raise required from 440 to 441"

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:50:35 EST

In a message dated 11/9/98 7:18:59 AM Central Standard Time, magraham@bw.edu
writes:

<< I don't consider myself an expert or
 particularly good. But I frequently change pitch on pianos in one pass
 with good results and no problems. Why doesn't it work elsewhere?
 Mark >>

This depends, perhaps on what your tolerances are.  If you use an SAT, do you
get the pattern to stand still with 4 or 5 lights in the display afterwards on
every single note?  If you are an aural tuner, do all of the interval checks
in your temperament work and do your octaves, double octaves, 10ths and 17ths
all check out perfectly?

This is what is really required for a good concert tuning.  I'm afraid that I
would have to agree with Richard on this one.  The more you check after
changing the pitch, no matter how slight an amount, the more you'll find
slight inaccuracies.  These may not spoil a performance but the difference
between having them and a really solidly accurate and stable tuning is the
difference between a piano that sounds merely "OK" and one which really sounds
superb.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin