when to not pitch raise?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 05:59:45 EST

Richard asks:
>Is there a compelling reason to alter pitch by only 1 cps?

Greetings,
    Yes, the "window" in a recording studio venue is 2 cents, max.  If things
are off more than than, someone is going to notice, as there is a lot of
"Korg" tuning going on with the session musicians.
     On the concert stage, 441 may be noticed by the oboes and flutes, and
perhaps some of the more sensitive horns, but would not be an excessive
problem.
    I don't consider it to be a pitch raise unless the change is greater than
6 cents, as my SAT pitch correction function will leave me with a 440 tuning
cleanly from anywhere closer than this.  I use the pitch corrections function
if there is more than a 3 cent change, anyway.  In a rush situation,  I have
"buttoned" my way to 440 from 10 cents off, and left the piano quite usable in
one pass, but deviations from true were detectable with the machine.
Regards,
Ed Foote