when to not pitch raise?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 02:38:54 -0600

Is there a compelling reason to alter pitch by only 1 cps?   A piano
'breathes" half a cps either way. And that is a lot, if it swings more
than that you got problems. If a piano were at 439 and the requirements
are for 440, and only one tuning alotted, for a performance, I wouldn't
raise it.  But then again I never really (vary rarely) had pianos off as
much as 1 Hz.  Even if they came off a truck and got set up in a cold
arena.  In house pianos were always dead on, or if they began to creep, it
was watched for a few shows, then a seperate appointment was made to do a
pitch raise.  The idea was to have a pitch that would be stable for weeks
or months at a time.  Perhaps I was in a better than average climate
though......

Richard Moody