Have I found treasure?

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 20:30:00 -0800

Gordon,

At 10:23 PM 11/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
><< To make a long story short, in the process of bringing all our records out
>of storage, I found that I have a small collection of 78's.  These include: 1.
>Rubinstein w/Toscanini and the NBC Symphony, playing Beethoven Concerto #3, 2.
>Rubinstein playing Beethoven's Sonata #8 ,  3. Rubinstein playing Chopin
>Scherzos.  4. There is also a collection of Chopin's 24 Preludes (opus 28)
>played by Alfred Cortot, who is a name unfamiliar to me.  I don't know where I
>got these, and frankly didn't know I owned them until today.
>
> I have no way to play these, but more importantly I'm wondering whether these
>recordings have any historical significance today.

snip

>One additional thought.  I realize this is not a technical post, but my reason
>for mentioning these recordings is because I thought it might provide an aural
>snapshot of piano tone from yesteryear that we might find illuminating.  (I'm
>NOT thinking money!)

I don't usually leave posts intact, but thought this was one in which
others would
have continuing interest.

All of the recordings you mention have been re-released on CD, depending on the
version you have.  In some cases, the Cortot, for example, the Opus 28 is out
in at least two (recording) versions.

I fully agree with your interest in historical recordings as a window on piano
tone, among other things.  Many of the "older" artists are being re-released,
especially as the copyrights awarded to their estates have run out.  Each
of the
major recording companies seems to have some kind of program.

As my wife and I have a relatively large library of recordings, we have enjoyed
comparing the re-releases with the original vinyl, and/or 78.  In some cases,
we have one of each of the same original recording.  While we still prefer
vinyl, there is no question but what musically sensitive re-engineering of
some of the earlier recordings has yielded some surprisingly wonderful
"records".  In CA, at least, there has been so little market for the 78s
themselves that I still have about 50' of them on shelves in the garage.

If you are interested in donating the 78s somewhere, you might check
with a largish university, many of whom have established collections
under headings like "library of recorded sound".  Stanford, Cal, and UCLA
all have such places, and I am sure that many other schools do as well.

Good Listening!

Best.

Horace