coupled motions

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:08:26 -0600 (CST)

At last, something technical. This is interesting. I've often wondered what
I was actually getting away with in tuning unisons. How far into the tone
did you tune? Were you giving it a second for the attack to coalesce, or
hitting the key quickly and continuously as you tuned? I'm thinking that
after the first half second or so of the attack, the note gets cleaner as
everything pulls together. I have found that attack distortion lessens as
the unison is better tuned, so I get better unison tuning in the attack,
than I do in the decay. Did you try it the other way and tune each
individual string as perfectly as possible with the RCT, muting the others,
and measure the pitch of the resulting unison?

I'm also curious as to what factors determine how much tuning divergence
will pull together to an 'acceptable' level. String termination and the
impedance of the bridge/soundboard assembly would surely affect this, as
would the frequency, I would think. You probably have a tentative hypothesis
about what you've got so far, so what do you think?

Ron

 Ron