new/old soundboard wood

JOSEP PUIG jpuig@idgrup.ibernet.com
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 01:57:07 +0000

List,
I am a piano rebuilder in Barcelona/Spain who's been doing this job for
over the last 20 years, but only recently (2 years ago) I have
undertaken the task of soundboard replacing. Now I have a complete
installation: pneumatic rib press and everything to do this task
properly.

The question is: why is it better to replace the whole soundboard with
new wood rather than carefully withdraw the old one, unglue the ribs and
bridges and next re-dry the sb. and reglue everything into place?

Many customers ask me what I have left of the "Steinway" if I have
replaced everything. (I had this question also before  when I simply
replaced a set of hammers!) I must admit now that this question makes
more sense to me, since if I replace completely the sb. of a Steiway it
is no longer a Steinway, although it was clearly needing it.
I use to answer that: what's left of a 80 years old Steinway precisely
after 80 years off the factory?...

Well, what I would like to know is if there is any known structural
changes on wood during time, I mean if there are significant differences
between new vs. old wood in, for instance, capacity of moisture holding
or absorption, vibrational behavior, strength, irreversible deformities,
etc. Where can I find such information?

By now, I do prefer to recrown the old sounboard (although ungluing it
without damage is like a nightmare) but I wish to know your opinions.

Thank You

Josep Puig