Action Handling

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 08:58:37 -0800

Hi Joel,
Like Avery, I also have modified those collapsible luggage carts on
different occasions.  The thing to keep in mind is that the action is
probably not going to be balanced exactly the way that it seems logical to
set it on the cart.  Also, the ends of the action might not be square to the
bottom of the cart.  Therefore, a little creativity is needed to come up
with some sort of extension to hold the action securely.  Also, some of the
handles need to be extended because the average action is taller (on its
side) than most luggage arrangements.  And strap it on!  All it takes is a
little bump and the action goes in its own direction.  These are minor
modifications, however, and have greatly helped me in similar situations as
yours.

I also experimented with just attaching a set of wheels onto the action, but
actions come in all different shapes and I never perfected this idea to
easily accommodate those differences.  It could easily be done, however.

I also own one of the action dollies made by Paul Janssen, designed by Jim
Ellis, RPT.  It is extremely useful as an aid to remove the action from the
piano and to do minor work, as mentioned, but it is not intended as a dolly
for moving the action over a long distance. The casters that came with mine
are not good for that, although they can be easily changed.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
jgrassi@silverlink.net
Bainbridge Island, WA