Devil Demon dithering Ds

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 03:03:22 -0600

----------
> From: Ricard de La Rosa <ricard@propiano.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Devil Demon Ds
> Date: Friday, November 06, 1998 10:26 AM
>

>Why is it that the best sounding big pianos are always the    most unruly
and
  > noisey and wild things on earth?  Almost always!.....Big,    Loud,
hard as hellhammers, WILDLY >BEATING
    >FALSENESS, zinging at the capo bar, .......<<

Ricard de La Rosa
Pro Piano

Ricard
	Perhaps you are experiencing "conversion jitter" : )   (more on that
later)
	You sound like that tech from San Rafael who has sadly gone on before us.
I used to think he was trying to intimidate us younger aspirants with
scare stroies.   And then his pianos were such dreams.
	But I do know in the
later years he flew to Braunschweig, and hob-nobbed with Herr G (in German
of course) and chose which he wanted.
	So do you think they choose for you... "Dieser ist gut genug für das
verrückt American guy who RENTS them?"
	Regarding your " zinging at the capo bar, " I thought this was
interesting from the Mechanical Music Digest list, "[ "Dithering" adds a
weak wide-band noise (a "hiss") to the analog
 [ input signal before it is converted to discrete values by the
 [ analog-to-digital converter (ADC).  The hiss is inaudible, but it
 [ helps the fidelity by reducing conversion jitter." Robbie Rhodes.

	So perhaps your D's are dithering? ? (I hope they didn't charge you
extra.....)   Now how do you feel ?

Ric D