Imagination

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:30:48 EST

In a message dated 11/5/98 7:41:18 PM Central Standard Time, ronl@nnex.net
writes:

<< Have just tuned an old 1898 Starr upright, brought up the temp. oc. to
 pitch.  It sounded in tune but not plesent ,brought it down to A-435 and it
 sang  pleasantly. The customer was happy,so I was .

 Has anyone ever noticed somewhat the same type of experience or is it just
 my imagination?

The piano may well have been designed for the A-435 pitch. In any case, some
very old pianos and some even of the 60's, 70's, and 80's that are from an era
where building the lowest cost piano was the goal just seem to be more
comfortable at that pitch.

In a climate like that of the upper midwest where I live, the shift in
relative humidity from very low to very high every single year makes A-435
(-20¢) an acceptable pitch to tune on many pianos at certain times of the
year.  For those pianos who really always require standard pitch, no
exceptions, it means a pitch raise or lowering virtually every time it is
tuned, even if it is done frequently.   (Dampp-Chaser products greatly
mitigate the problem in those pianos).

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin