Unison beats good?

Pianosold@AOL.COM Pianosold@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:43:45 EST

List,
"Even the unison strings of a piano sound better when de-tuned to a minute
degree (app. 2 cents total spread, corresponding to 2/3 beat per second @
a440). Fortunately a good piano tuner attempting to achieve true unison gets,
on the average, a similar result"

Dr Daniel W. Martin
H D Baldwin Co
Tech Jo. April 1964

This interested me greatly because I had always considered my unisons to be
beatless, when they were right - if you know what I mean.  However, when one
talks to an organ tuner he will say that he can wait 20-30 seconds or more for
a beat!  This leads me to believe that there is truth in the above.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Rob Thornton
UK