Strips or wedges

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:55:24 -0500

Plate brace compression? Really?  When I'm tuning with the RCT using the
same tuning file as last time, where the piano has gone slightly flat,
I'm finding that the pitch is most flat next to the braces, and changed
little in the areas between. This runs counter to the test results given
below! (unless pitch raising/lowering arouses a different reaction than
normal tuning change over time and weather change does.)  This leads me
to suspect it's the empty spot on the bridge causing the change. Typical
change from six weeks ago--  Dead on in the middle of sections 2-3 cents
flat next to braces, and ofcourse drasticly off at bass break.)
Bridgemakers!, What is the proper term for that empty spot at section
breaks?

-Mike Jorgensen RPT --who tunes all CMU pianos every six to eight weeks.