Strips or wedges

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 00:00:41 -0600

----------
> From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Strips or wedges
> Date: Monday, November 02, 1998 3:46 PM
>
> Dmsaerts@AOL.COM wrote:
>
> > Mr Coleman  wrote:
> >
> > "I don't have the data, but I do remember the graph of the pitch drop
after
> >    a pitch raise. The graph showed scallops between the struts. In
other words
> >    the pitch dropped more between the struts than it did at the
struts. This
> >    indicates that the plate web flexes, but less where there is the
support
> >    of the struts."
> >
> > The reason could be that there is more space between unisons at the
struts.

> > Cyrillus
>
> No, it is because the struts compress less than the webbing.
>
>                                 Newton

If the metal plate is "compressing" due to tension, it should be able to
be measured. How much  are we talking here?  The plate is supposed to be
rigid.  FWIW if the speaking length of a 20 inch string at A440 is
shortened by .02 " the resulting freq is 440.4404.
	On the other hand, it is conceivable that a space on the bridge could
exert a little more force where there is a gap in the strings, but I
wouldn't know where to begin to figure that one.
	If a string is removed a dramatic sharpening of the adjacent strings
occurs, but that I don't think has anything to do with the space on a
bridge running under plate struts. Now if the bridge behaved like a wet
noodle in supporting the strings. . . . ..........I guess by some stretch
of the imagination one could find support for Cyrillus's premise...

Ric jus noodlin'