Evenings and weekends

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 14:19:09 -0500

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I assume you, like myself, receive requests for piano service during
> evenings and weekends.  There are people where no one is home during
> normal working hours, or the building is occupied, and there are weekend
> concerts.
>
> When I was building my clientele, I worked whenever and was glad for the
> work.  But now, with more work than I can handle, I find it a little
> hard not to resent being asked to do a tuning during "off" hours, but I
> also wouldn't like to say, "Sorry, I don't work (holidays, weekends,
> whatever)."
>
> Has anyone tried looking at these times as overtime and charging more?
> If so, how do clients or potential customers respond?  Are they grateful
> or resentful if they can find someone to accommodate them at an extra
> cost?  If this has worked for you, how much extra do you charge?  Your
> input will be helpful.
>
> Maybe I should add, in case you're wondering, that I do bend to favor my
> regular clients.  I am trying to build their loyalty to me, and I
> respond by being loyal, and available, to them.
>
> Thank you.
> Clyde Hollinger

Hello Clyde,

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC. There are more two income
families here than ANY place in the USA.  I tune every monday, tuesday,
wednesday, and thursday night.  Those night appointments book up first;
day appts are much harder to fill.

Could I charge extra?  I doubt it.  If my rates are too high, they will
find someone else. Yes, there are some tuners who work M - F during the
daytime only, but not many. Most either work nights or weekends or both.

If you have more work than you can handle, to worry about it.  If you
want to work extra, charge extra if you can.  Here, there is too much
competition.  Also, there are quite a few "tooners" from the various
miltary bands.  Some may be ok, but most don't seem to have much of a
piano technology background, judging from the repair work I have seen.
Even so, they are still competition.

So it just depends on where you live.  I understand that RAndy Potter,
who lives in central Oregon, has only one or two competitors. Our PTG
chapter is the second largest in the USA.  No shortage of techs here!
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member