Evenings and weekends

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 07:28:53 -0500

Friends:

I assume you, like myself, receive requests for piano service during
evenings and weekends.  There are people where no one is home during
normal working hours, or the building is occupied, and there are weekend
concerts.

When I was building my clientele, I worked whenever and was glad for the
work.  But now, with more work than I can handle, I find it a little
hard not to resent being asked to do a tuning during "off" hours, but I
also wouldn't like to say, "Sorry, I don't work (holidays, weekends,
whatever)."

Has anyone tried looking at these times as overtime and charging more?
If so, how do clients or potential customers respond?  Are they grateful
or resentful if they can find someone to accommodate them at an extra
cost?  If this has worked for you, how much extra do you charge?  Your
input will be helpful.

Maybe I should add, in case you're wondering, that I do bend to favor my
regular clients.  I am trying to build their loyalty to me, and I
respond by being loyal, and available, to them.

Thank you.
Clyde Hollinger