In Search Of..

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:22:52 EST

In a message dated 11/3/98 5:03:35 PM Central Standard Time,
tito@philbondi.com writes:

<< "Wallace F. Wilson" wrote:

 > Phil:
 >
 >         Could you make the sharp?  Might be easier.
 >
 > ----- Wally Wilson, RAPT

 I don't think so..there's an extra 1/2 inch of back added to the bottom
 of this 'custom' sharp, and it HAS to fit over this slot..

 good idea..but I can't see it.

 Phil >>

Can you modify the keystick somehow so that it will accept a common sharp?

The Currier Co. went out of business nearly 20 years ago.  The action parts
are Pratt Read and can be easily replaced.  I have tuned some of these pianos
but I don't think I ever noticed how the sharps are made.

Some 70's model consoles (Kimball comes to mind) have a runt keystick and the
rest is plastic.  The white keys are white plastic even on the sides.  I can
see how this was meant to be something positive.  The sides of the keys would
not wear like wood does.  Cleaning the keys would be easier too.

But when I was asked to repair one of these at a school where the piano had
been vandalized, keys broken off, etc., I was at a loss with what to do.  If
you could describe in detail how the key and sharp are made, someone might be
able to tell you how to retrofit a key or even make a substitute key.

Sincerely,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin