New ?-Removing grand plate

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:26:14 EST

<< I have seen several references to marking carefully the position of a grand
 plate when removing it.  I have never removed a plate but am curious why it
is
 necessary to mark the position.  It would seem that there are enough bolts
 holding the plate in place that it would go pack to its former position just
 by snugging the bolts.  What am I missing?

 Dick Day >>

The holes in the plate to hold the screws and bolts are not a tight fit with
the screws or bolts. There is enough play in them that the plate can be
adjusted from front to back to where it can make a difference with string
length, especially in the upper treble, and side to side where it can have a
dramatic effect on the damper wires coming up throught the strings.

Willem Blees