CFS - trivia? more

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 01 Nov 1998 21:06:55 -0700 (MST)

Hi Tom:

Yes, Charles Fredrich Stein did make his own pianos. In his later years,
he became the consultant for the Pratt Read Co. (they made keys and actions
for most all of the american industry). He had an idea that people
(technicians) could buy all the parts from Pratt Read and build their own
console pianos. This was offered and a few techs did just that, but the idea
did not catch on in a large way. Pratt Read used an ad which showed Stein
sitting in the entrance to a large vault or safe. The caption read: "Our
greatest asset".

The last Kohler & Campbell designs were his. The Jannsen Piano Co. used his
scale "C" as their console before the one Chuck Walter and the rest of us
designed while working for the C. G. Conn Co.

Jim Coleman, Sr.