Removing grand plate

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 01 Nov 1998 01:40:48 -0600

Hi Paul,
             Use three cloth type moving straps with  lock type buckles.
Dover pad in Montreal. It normally takes two or three lift attempts to
adjust the length of the straps to get an even lift, so that the plate goes
straight up. If it's your first time, tape thin stiff cardboard to the
inside of the rim to prevent damage, and have two helpers to stop the plate
swinging, and bumping the case. The lock type buckles helps to accurately
lengthen the straps quickly, the cloth type straps have very little stretch.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 11:41 PM 31/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I need to remove a plate for some work to be done and need to purchase the
>equipment to do so.  I can purchase a 3 ton chain hoist (overdone perhaps,
>but only $99 CDN).  My shop has steel beams which I can put a chain over to
>attach this to.  What would you recommend to attach from the hoist to the
>plate and any safety precautions I need to take.
>
>Paul Plumb, B.Mus., PTG Associate
>Plumb Pianos

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre