Strictly technical

Sat, 31 Oct 1998 23:25:34 -0800

Ricard de La Rosa wrote:

> > Dear Del:
>
> Holder there Nute!  Of course tuned aliquots help "performance"  That is, if one
> considers "tonal color" part of performance.
>
> All improvements to tone improve performance....unqeustionably.  This should not
> even be a point worthy of discussion.

Neither the front nor the back 'tuned aliquots' fall under the heading of
'improvements' in my book.  Both cause far more trouble than they are worth.  It has
not been demonstrated that tuning the back scale has any positive impact on piano
performance and the practice of 'tuning' the front duplex is responsible for more
problems with extraneous and unwanted string noises than any other single factor.

I do agree, however, that this subject should no longer be a point worthy of
discussion.  The evidence has been around for a very long time.

> Color is the name of the game!  The more you have, the more piano you have....the
> less you have, the less piano you have.
>
> Agreed, I hope!

Color is nice.  But clean, consistent power, an extended sustain time and a widened
dynamic range is worth a whole lot more.  We have numerous pianos to substantiate
this.  (By the way -- we get 'color' as well.)

Regards,

Del