Sound in Feet per Second.

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 30 May 1998 14:41:27 -0500 (CDT)

Check your local book stores too. Mine is called 'The Encyclopedia of Wood',
purchased at Borders for $24.95. The publisher is Sterling Publishing Co.
Library of Congress Catalog No:88-39719, Sterling ISBN 0-8069-6994-6. This
is the 1987 paperback edition reprinted in '89. It's the same book Del
mentions below, absolutely terrific stuff.

Ron

>Most of this information can be found in the "Wood Handbook: Wood as an
Engineering
>Material." This is US Department of Agriculture publication. It's official
title is
>"Agriculture Handbook #72." Unfortunately, there are several older issues
of this book all
>published under this same title and number. The one you want is the one
published in 1987.
>That is the most recent issue that I'm aware of. It should be available
from the US
>Printing Office.
>
>Del
>
>--------------------------------
>
>Doug Richards wrote:
>
>> Del,
>>
>> Thanks a bunch for the modulus and density info.  I looked for it a whole
>> back and couldn't find it.  Can you tell me what type of wood these numbers
>> are for?  I started to do a simple finite element model of a soundboard with
>> a 3 string unison to look at how much the board stiffness changes the
>> response of the strings...  I need the modulus of both spruce and maple to
>> do a more accurate job, but anything you have is better than nothing.
>>
>> doug richards
>> San Jose, CA
 Ron