Juicy Details

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sat, 30 May 1998 09:54:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/98 8:00:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
diskladame@provide.net writes:

<< acrylic (keytops or pellets) and acetone >>

This is my favorite.  I use the pellets you can buy from some of the
suppliers. I mix up two concentrations, one "heavy", one "light".  If I need a
"medium", I mix in a little of my "heavy" with my "light".

 I don't have any exact proportions. I just put about a half teaspoon full of
pellets in an empty Isopropyl alcohol bottle and fill it with acetone for the
"light" and about two tablespoons full in the same for the "heavy".  I go
mostly by the color I get.  The "light" looks like watered-down skim milk or
perhaps like whey.  The "heavy" looks like half & half.  A "medium'
concentration looks like 2%.  (You can tell I come from The Dairy State).

I prefer this solution because of the control I can get and the rapid drying
time.  In an urgent (concert) situation, I can apply a scant amount of the
light right on the striking surface of the hammers if they are dull sounding.
This is especially useful in the high treble.  It will be dry by the time I am
finished tuning.  Because, in this instance, I have applied only a small
amount in a light concentration, it can be filed off later, if necessary. I
haven't "ruined" the entire hammer with hardener.

It is also my preferred way to approach hammer hardening.  Even though this
contradicts what you will see in most books and manuals, it is really the way
Steinway voicers work.  Rather than saturating the entire hammer (although
this can be necessarry in some very difficult cases),  use very light
concentrations on the very striking surface.  This will bring up the tone of a
dull hammer quickly and effectively without destroying the rest of the fabric
of the hammer.  I think of it as I do appying coats of paint.  Two thin coats
give you a more even and uniform texture than one thick, "gloppy" coat does.
You can "pick out" any overly bright ones with needles.  Later in the hammer's
life, you will have filed through that hardened part and will be down to what
is perhaps firmer felt which will be sufficiently hard anyway.

This is an example of using a technique which produces the greatest amount of
results for the least amount of effort.  It also avoids creating an
irreversable problem for the future.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin