More Scaling Questions

Stan Kroeker skroeker@mts.net
Thu, 28 May 1998 12:17:11 -0500 (CDT)

Since David Roberts' book, The Calculating Technician, was published some
years ago, I have programmed his formulae into a spreadsheet and plugged in
the appropriate data from each piano I rebuild.  The data from the various
functions he developed (Loudness Factor, Hammer/String Contact Time,
Inharmonicity of the 4th Partial, Tension and Percentage of Breaking
Tension) creates some impressive graphs of each function, but I haven't yet
learned how to manipulate this data to optimize the scale on a given piano.

I understand that others use Dr. Sanderson's formulae for scale analysis
and some feel that they are more accurate, at least as far as calculation
of tension and breaking percentage go.

Although I have been told that the scaling software that is currently
available is suitable (at least for those of you with Windows based PCs), I
would like to take the discussion of Do-It-Yourself scale analysis to the
next level.

Would those of you who have modelled their own spreadsheets with either
Roberts' or Sanderson's formulae care to comment on your procedures?  Which
functions take precedence?  Smooth tension curve?  Smooth inharmonicity
curve?  How do you actually manipulate the data?  Do you identify problem
areas on the graphs and just empirically change wire diameters to see if
there is any improvement?

There is a fascinating article in the June 1988 Journal on 'Rescaling the
1905 Steinway Upright' which involves replacing the lowest 2 tenor trichord
plain wire unisons with copper-wound bichord unisons.  The article mentions
the Sanderson formulae and gives the reasons for recaling but doesn't
actually get into the procedure.

Suggestions?  Experiences?

Best regards,

Stan Kroeker