Janssen info needed.

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 26 May 1998 23:48:06 -0400

Richard Moody wrote:

> I recently tuned a Janssen console 116331 (1952) and noticeced a split in
> some parts of the pin block joining or near the frame, looking down from
> the top.  I also noticed that the top bolts seemed to go all the way
> through, so the traditional repair of drilling these all the way through
> is moot. It looks like a carrage bold was used, and the head came in from
> the back, and the nut and a cap nut put in front. (the tuning pin side).
>  I am wondering if this was from the factory.

Probably.  I care for a handful of these and that's the way they are.
But I never saw pulling apart there, and used to wonder why ALL piano
manufacturers don't put the bolts the whole way through.  You've got a
puzzler there!

>         By coincedence the next week I tuned an Everett console.  also from the
> 50's and noticed the same thing. The top plate bolts completely through
> with the threaded end on the tuning pin side. .   I had never seen this on
> an Everett, and I used to tune for a dealer who sold them, perhaps it is
> something I never noticed.   The block to frame seams were solid in this
> case.

I brought this up on the list maybe two months ago.  I have a '70s
studio Everett which has developed a separation, but the bolts are not
the whole way through.  I was informed earlier they were, and observed
this to be so since then.

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA