poll

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 26 May 1998 01:22:30 EDT

Ok, here is how I started:

I have always had a fascination with pianos, playing since the age of 6.
After graduating from college with a B.A in Music, then on to graduate school,
my sister decided to have the church choir section rehearse at my Dad's home.
She asked me to find someone to tune the Baldwin grand (which I am inheriting,
more later) and Randy Potter did the job.  I was so intrigued that I asked him
how to learn the trade.

I was not very sure about graduate school (good grades but undecided of where
I was heading), quit and enrolled at Western Iowa Tech in 1979.  Graduated in
1980, moved back to Portland, OR, started my business, and joined the PTG.

Being single at the time (I am now married) and living with my Dad where rent
was cheap, I was able to build the business large enough to be confident to
move out on my own.  I passed my exams in 1982,  CTE in 1986.  I would not be
here today without the benefit on belonging to the Piano Technicians Guild.
The tips I have picked up, not to mention this List, allows me to earned a lot
of extra money, besides tuning.

My clientele is now over 1300 (no, I do not tune that many each year, but I
stay busy) and I spend 3 days in the field tuning and repair, and 2 days in my
shop for rebuilding.

I am not rich in this business, but very happy and content with what I am
doing.

For what it's worth.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR