poll

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 24 May 1998 11:56:15 -0400

Born in '47 in NYC.
Violin lessons in Germany '53-'55.
Piano lessons in Washington, DC, Copenhagen, DK '56-'60.
BA Sociology, St. Lawrence University '69
Played organ in top-40 bands '65-'72.
Tuned my first piano (a Fender Rhodes electric) in '71.  Learned that
there were exactly two piano technicians in Berlin during a visit with
my parents. One wanted to pay a technician to take over his business?!
Passed an aptitute test but decided return to D.C.
Was hired by the local Baldwin dealer in '72 for $100/week to tune floor
stock and do prep.  (Turned out he really wanted to make a salesman out
of me, but I declined.) Head technician taught me good hammer technique,
how to tune 4+ pianos per day, and convinced me to join PTG (although he
was not a member).
Worked in the field for local Steinway/Sohmer/Kimball dealer doing
'free' tunings and trouble shooting '73-75.
Bought a retiring technician's small business '74.
Passed PTG exams '76.  Attended NOVA and DC chapter meetings, attended
National and Regional Conventions and seminars intensely throughout the
'70s and '80s.
Sold Walter pianos out of my home '84-87.  Stopped when I realized I was
in the furniture business and didn't care for the cut throat aspects of
piano sales.
Did some rebuilding during '70s and '80s, largely due to Willis Snyder's
inspiration.
Use my shop now mostly for cabinetmaking as a break from piano work.
Also spend a great deal of time and energy as a soccer player, coach,
and referee.
Married Barbara in '78, son David born '82, daughter Katherine born '86.

Nearly everything I've learned in the piano service business is the
direct result of my affiliation with PTG.

Carl D. Root RPT
Rockville, MD
Economic Affairs Committee