poll/Tuning Exam

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 24 May 1998 10:17:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/98 5:38:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
 mvanloon@xs4all.nl writes:

<< Last  year the VvPN (the Dutch equivalent of the PTG) was founded and they
 started a tuning test (copied from the PTG) . André Oorebeek (Antares) was
 the first to pass the test on Sunday 22 March 1998.  >>

I'm very glad to see that the PTG RPT Tuning Exam procedure has been adopted
 in Europe.  At the IAPBT meeting in Albuquerque in July 1995 to which I was a
 delegate, I suggested that PTG make the information available to the Japan
 Piano Technicians Association.  I don't know whether they have done anything
 with it yet.

The Japanese had basically a "good old boy" system of examining but they did
 have one good idea:  you had to demonstrate raising the pitch of a piano 20˘.
 I don't know how they judged that pitch raise but they ability to make a pitch
 adjustment is very important and the PTG exam does not .test that at all.

In my view, the PTG RPT Tuning Exam is the best evaluation ever developed but
 nearly everyone agrees that it is not perfect.  If we can improve upon it, we
 will and if there are ideas that come from other counties, the PTG ETS
 committee would be very interested.

Congratulations, Antares!  Good luck in your endeavor, Micheal!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, WIsconsin