Master Piano Tuner

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 23 May 1998 08:59:34 -0500 (CDT)

Dwight,

   I will also suggest getting a new set of flanges instead of replacing
the cord. IMHO, by the time you clean out the old remnants, determine the
length, cut, glue, etc. you could have long since finished the job with new
ones. Even having to travel some.
   But even if you decide to just replace the cord, I don't understand
about dropping the wippens. Yes, you can get to the screws a *little*
easier that way, but what about the dampers on the loop side of the action?
I think it would be MUCH easier and quicker (& more accurate) to remove the
hammers.
   Whichever way you decide, good luck. I have about 39 of those, most of
which have from a few to many of the cords broken. But with all the grands
that need work, I just haven't been able to get to them. Oh where is an
apprentice when you need one?  :-)

Avery

>I'd like to now solicit the members of the list for a suggestion.  I just
>picked up a Yamaha studio action with many broken butt flange cords.  The
>cords are brown, not the usual white.  I don't want to remove the hammers.
>At >this point I'm thinking of detaching the bridal straps and letting the
>whips >drop to gain access to the screw side of the flange to facilitate
>attaching new >cords.  I suppose I'll use parachute cord (I've used it to
>replace grand whip >cords). Being so close to the center pin I'm afraid to
>use CA so I'm thinking
>of using tweezers and prewetting the ends of the cord with Titebond.  Any
>>suggestions? Any slick tool ideas?  I have a feeling this could be very
>tedious >and straining.  I'm very far-sighted so this kind of fine work is
>difficult if
>I have to do it by eye.
>
>Thanks
>Dwight Keyes