Master Piano Tuner

moment@pacbell.net moment@pacbell.net
Sat, 23 May 1998 01:53:53 -0700

I've been enjoying this list for a month.  To respond to your poll, I attended
Perkins School of Piano Technology in Cleveland in 1974-75.  Perkins taught some
questionable methods, such as using sleeves to tighten loose tuning pins (.024"
is overkill).  No one in attendance ever saw the man tune a piano.  He only
taught us how to temper using fourths and fifths.  I learned to add thirds and
sixths later, on my own.

During the intervening years I worked for dealers in Tampa and South Florida
before moving to Southern California.  I tried my hand at refinishing and
restringing.  I've avoided player pianos like the plague but acutally did repair
a player when I lived for a short time in Battle Mountain, Nevada.  Over time I
learned that to be proficient one needs to perform a task consistently, so doing
occasional refinish jobs was not my path.  I tune and do action repairs and
regulations.  The rest of the work I refer.

Had I stayed in Tampa I would probably have joined PTG.  I was doing quite a bit
of work with John Ragusa who was very involved with the Guild and eventually
became president of his chapter.  I even went to a state convention with him.

I'd like to now solicit the members of the list for a suggestion.  I just picked
up a Yamaha studio action with many broken butt flange cords.  The cords are
brown, not the usual white.  I don't want to remove the hammers.  At this point
I'm thinking of detaching the bridal straps and letting the whips drop to gain
access to the screw side of the flange to facilitate attaching new cords.  I
suppose I'll use parachute cord (I've used it to replace grand whip cords).
Being so close to the center pin I'm afraid to use CA so I'm thinking of using
tweezers and prewetting the ends of the cord with Titebond.  Any suggestions?
Any slick tool ideas?  I have a feeling this could be very tedious and
straining.  I'm very far-sighted so this kind of fine work is difficult if I
have to do it by eye.

Thanks
Dwight Keyes
Keyes Piano Tuning
(714) 521-1305

"I know not why it is that a man struggles his whole life to reach the pinnacle
and then throws himself into the abyss, I only know that it is so."
    --Oscar Wilde, while serving two years' hard labour